Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Adding a Network based scanner to Ubuntu


I have a network based scanner that I wanted to connect to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. The steps to install it are straightforward and can be easily found on the web. As these blogs are more logs of my own adventures, I have decided to document these in this post.

Installing the libraries

The first step is to install hplip. This is done by entering the following command on a terminal window as follows:

$ sudo apt-get install hplip

Setting up the scanner

The next step is to run hp-setup

$ sudo hp-setup


The opening screen shows options to select the connectivity, which in my case was the second option, i.e. Network. Then click on the Next button.


Luckily my printer was found and it showed up on the discovered devices.


Clicking next presented the following dialog with some additional options. I did not change anything and proceeded to the next step.


Clicking on Add Printer added the printer (and scanner) to the configuration.

Testing the Network Scanning

Next I went to the Ubuntu menu and accessed the SimpleScan software that comes pre-installed.


The SimpleScan software was launched. I clicked the scan button on the top menu, and the document in my scanner was scanned by the software.


That's it, my network scanner is now operational on Ubuntu 12.

No comments: