Search This Blog

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Download and Install JDK on Ubuntu

I just setup a new laptop with Ubuntu 13.10. As I wanted to run some Java applications, I tried to see the version of javac on my machine, only to realize that nothing was installed.




Now the question, which JDK to install. I realized the best option was openjdk-7-jdk (To install Sun/ Oracle JDK, refer to the steps in this post). So I ran the following command

$sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jdk



This should start the installation process. After installation is complete, you should see a screen indicating the process completed successfully.


Finally, we can validate by checking the version of the Java compiler.



Perfect, we have JDK installed!

If you have multiple JDKs installed, you can read this post to configure the one you need as default.

No comments: