Search This Blog

Monday, January 19, 2015

Installing Pentaho Business Analytics 5.2 Community Edition on Ubuntu


To download community edition, access the site http://community.pentaho.com. 



Click on the download section on the  page and access Community Edition 5.2 Business Analytics Platform.


Clicking on download, downloads a zip file. Extract the zip file to your folder of choice. It reveals a file called biserver-ce. I renamed my folder to biserver52-ce. Pentaho ships with a tomcat folder. I accessed the /bin directory and executed ./version.sh to check the version of Tomcat bundled.



I changed the standard ports to avoid conflicts with other Tomcat instances on my machine. I made the following changes in the /tomcat/conf/server.xml file.

http port: 8083
redirect port: 8449
shutdown port: 8008
ajp port: 8012


I saved the file and executed ./start-pentaho.sh in my pentaho root folder. This prompts a choice to acceptance automatic version updates. I agreed by pressing Enter and continued.



Accessing http://localhost:8083 launches the Pentaho login screen.


To assist in evaluation, Pentaho ships with an admin and a business user profile. These can be accessed by clicking the "Login as an Evaluator" button that displays the two profiles.


Clicking on "Go" on the admin profile, logs in as the administrator. You can see the admin logged in on the top right corner.


Signing out and logging in as "suzy" the business user logs you in with an end user profile.


That's it folks!

No comments: